UPCOMING EVENTS AT DOUBLE 8 ALPACA RANCH
Double Alpaca Ranch will be attending the following shows in 2022: Please follow the link to schow information via the name of the show listed below.
- HOV - The Virginia Horse Park, Lexington, VA. March 12-13, 2022.
- March Llama Madness -
C-Bar-C Expo Center, Cloverdale, IN, March 25 - 27, 2022
- MA & PA Alpaca Pronk - Carroll County Ag Center, Westminster, MD. April 9-10, 2022
- MAPACA - Pennsylvania Farm Complex, Harrisburg, PA. April 23-24, 2022
- Loudoun County Fair - Loudoun County Fairgrounds, Leesburg, VA. July 26-30, 2022 (Our 4-H youth will be there all week, but our llamas and alpacas will only attend on the day they are scheduled to show in showmanship and possibly obstacle.) Check back for schedules.
- WVA State Fair - ILR Llama Show - August 18 - 20,2022.
FALL SHOWS & Events:
- Loudoun County Fall Farm Tour - Our farm invites the public to come visit the animals for free the weekend of Saturday, October 15 - Sunday, October 16. 10 AM - 4PM.
- Leesburg Farmers Market - Virginia Village Shopping Center, 30 Catoctin SE, Leesburg, VA. 9am - 12noon. Every Saturday from November through March.
- MD Alpaca & Fleece Festival - We will be in barn 3 selling our warm alpaca socks, gloves, scarves, and hand knit hats. Howard County Fairgrounds, West Friendship, MD. November 12 - 13, 2022 (9am - 4pm both days)
- NAILE - We will be showing both our llamas and alpacas at this show in Louisville, KY. Kentucky Fair & Exposition Center, Louisville, KY November 4-6, 2022.
- VAOBA - We will be showing our alpacas at our state affiliate show in Harrisonburg, VA. Rockingham County Fairgrounds, Harrisonburg, VA November 18 - 19, 2022.
- Christmas Lights, Christmas Music, Holiday Alpacas & Llamas on the Farm - Saturday, December 10th and Saturday, December 17th from 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM. $5 per person. Farm Store open to shop for Christmas gifts. Location: 13374 Harpers Ferry Rd, Purcellville, VA
Private Farm Tours
Are you looking for something fun and inexpensive to do with your family or organization? Look no further. Our Farm Tours are highly recommended.
Fran Hecht - "What a wonderful time meeting with the Alpacas, Llamas, a
long with the dogs and chickens. Took our teen granddaughter and two friends for a fun and educational afternoon. They loved meeting all the animals and getting close and personal, and so did we. Lots of fun and laughs too. Wonderful hosts. Thank you."
Shannon Dee - "We had a great time during our private tour of the farm learning all about alpacas an be llamas. It was very fun feeding and petting the animals and seeing all the temperaments of each of animals."
Nicholas Stamatis - "The owners provided a unique, incredible, and educational experience that no one who loves animals should miss out on. They were friendly and kind and made us feel incredibly welcome as they introduced us to their beautiful alpacas. Great for families with young kids and/or significant others who love alpacas!"
Our Tours: We offer private, hour-long, educational farm tour for you and your family. We provide treats to feed the alpacas so you can enjoy an up close encounter with the alpacas & Llamas on our farm. The fee is $50 for the first 1-3 people in a group, then $15 per person after the 3rd person. Example: A 2 or 3 person tour costs $50, and a 4 person tour will cost $60. Click HERE to book your one hour private farm tour.
During your tour you will get to meet our friendly alpacas, feed them a treat, and learn why we have alpacas and what we do with them. You will learn about the history of alpacas and llamas and the differences between them.
Alpaca yarn from our herd, and various alpaca products (scarves, hats, gloves, socks, jewelry, and dryer balls) will be for sale.
Please dress accordingly: CLOSED toed shoes are highly recommended. Boots during inclement weather such as rain or snow. Bring or apply bug repellent for summer months. Wear a hat to shade eyes as we will be in the pasture with the herd. Dress warm in the winter.
Loudoun County Fall Farm Tour:
We will be open to the public the 3rd weekend in May and the 3rd weekend in October from 10 AM - 4 PM. Free admission to view alpacas from fence lines. Small admission fee to have an up-close encounter with the alpacas and Llamas. A portion of the proceeds to benefit the Alpaca & Llama 4-H Club of Loudoun County. Come see fiber demonstrations and shop our locally grown alpaca fiber products (socks, hats, scarves, dryer balls, and more!)
Leesburg Farmers Market - Winter Season (November - March)
We will be back at the Leesburg Farmers Market with our locally grown and made yarns, socks, hats, scarves, dryer balls and more!! Come see us Saturdays from 9AM - 12PM. 30 Catoctin Cir SE, Leesburg, VA 20175
Are you excited to learn about potentially owning and caring for your own alpacas? Join us for our Education Series and learn everything there is to know about caring for your new fuzzy herd! Each topic will be taught on our farm with half of the time indoors and the other half out on the farm and will run a total of 1.5 hours for each session. The cost is $75 per person or $135 for a couple. Please be sure to call and register to ensure a space.
Selection and Conformation. In this session, you will learn what is an alpaca, what are the differences between the two breed types and the differences between llamas and alpacas. You will learn about the varying colors and how to carefully select healthy and conformationally correct alpacas.
Infrastructure of Your Farm. In this session you will learn about the varying barns and fencing options. You will also learn about pasture and how to maintain it.
Nutrition. In this session, you will learn about the nutritional needs of the alpacas and llamas.
Herd Health. In this session you will learn how to care for your alpacas. We will cover First Aid for the Alpaca - eyes, toenails, skin issues, and medications for the alpaca. We will also show how we weigh or body score to check weights and conduct Meningeal Infection Prevention.
Parisitology. In this session we will discuss parasites and dewormers. We will show how a fecal sample is collected and how we complete the forms for our lab to conduct a fecal analysis. We will review examples of fecal results.
Alpaca Fiber. In this session we will learn how to identify a fleece for show and/or processing. We will learn the difference techniques for preparing a fleece for a show versus for processing. Additional sessions may be offered to help you prepare your fiber for show or mill.
Reproduction/Neonatal Care. In this session you will learn about the reproduction of the alpaca and how to care for the dam and newborn cria
Halter Training: In this session, you will learn about the proper fit of a halter and how to gently handle and train your alpacas. We also provide this service at your farm.